About the Montour-DeLong Community Fair
The Montour-Delong Fair was named for Montour County and Mr. Frank Emerson DeLong, a philanthropist from Washingtonville and the inventor of the hook and eye.
In 1935, the Montour-DeLong Fair was started for the people of Montour County. Since that time, the fair has expanded to include residents of Rush Township, Northumberland County and surrounding communities.
"The founding fathers of the fair wanted a Community Fair that would promote the interests of agriculture and homemaking so as to raise the standards of school work, encourage the production of better crops and livestock and to promote better standards of living." — (Paraphrased from the forward of the 1935 fair book.)
Fast Facts About the Fair
1987: The first Horse Pulling Contest was held. Total fair premiums paid to exhibitors was $10,000.
1981: The arena was built.
1978: The 4-H building was built. The 4-H and FFA Round-Up were started on the Saturday before the week of the fair.
1976: The upper cattle barn was constructed.
1973: The lower cattle barn and Grange building were built.
1970: The first Tractor Pulling Contest was held.
1968: The main fair building with the kitchen was built and the first pony contest was held. The fair was moved to the month of August.
1965: Fair memberships were at 950 members.
1962: The first Pet & Toy Parade was conducted.
1961: The first Chicken Bar-B-Que was held.
1955: Pennsylvania State Police Dog Show, Horse Demonstration and a Livestock Sale were held.
1948: The fair started the first Dairy Cattle Show.
1942-1945: No fairs were held during World War II.
1938: Tents were rented to accommodate the new 4-H Poultry and Swine Projects in the county.
October 24-26, 1935: The first fair was held at the DeLong Memorial School in Washingtonville, Pennsylvania. There were 158 fair memberships. Premiums paid to exhibitors totaled $108.00.